English

English is my first and primary language. I grew in Los Angeles and learned to read and write through the public school system. What may have benefited my writing ability was when my parents had forbidden television when I was younger and only had access to books. This was when internet was not as widespread as it is now. I had read a lot of toned down classic books such as "Around the World in 80 Days" and others which I don't remember. Reading these books probably helped me to understand structure of English language.
I also grew up in Los Angeles and the English spoken is viewed as free and liberal compared to the conservative English used towards the east. Timing may have also affected my language. As a millennial growing up during the 90's and 2000's when 90's hip hop was still popular influenced the slang.
I used words like 'cool', rarely to talk about the temperature, but indicate that whatever topic at hand is amazing. 'Tight' also had similar meanings as 'cool'. The word 'gay' had come up during my middle or high school days, probably when the homophobic mania had erupted. Friends would say "that's gay", not to indicate sexuality but to express negativity. I had learned in Comm 10 that the word 'dude' initially started to mean gentleman in the old days. The word 'dude' had changed when surfers in California started using to mean the other subject. At times I use the words 'dude', 'bro', or 'fool/foo' interchangeably, like when I say "No time bro/dude". I have recently seen bro/dude being used by females talking to other females, signifying that it has become such a popular phrase it had evolved to being non-gender specific.
When comedians Ismo explains the many uses of the word 'ass', it is similar 'dude' how its meaning had evolved with time. The primary definition of 'ass' means the rear end, or butt. When attached as a suffix such as when saying 'lazy ass', it doesn't mean lazy rear end but it just refers to entire human subject. It merely emphasizes the negativity of your expression. When you attach it to a description it can also heighten the description such as when you say "blue-ass shirt" it would mean a very blue shirt. The inverse happens when you attached to 'bad' when you say 'badass'. It doesn't emphasize the bad, but mean it is actually very 'cool'. Ismo also explains that you can use 'ass' to refer to another entire subject when you use it not attached to a description such as, "move your ass". It can also mean 'no' when you say "blue my ass". It means the shirt is not blue. He also mentions that when used as 'half-ass' it would just mean that one is not putting their full effort. The funny part is when he says "you can go even smaller and say you a 'piece of ass'", it just means that your beautiful. In the end, the use just depends on the context.
Paradoxically I learned the word 'hella' when I came south to San Diego to go to school. 'Hella' is used in North California slang to mean 'very'. Many students from NorCal come to UCSD, and bring their speaking habits with them. After making several friends from that area and hearing it being used so often, I used to sometimes use it myself.
I now hear many younger students using texting slang in real life conversations. The would say 'LOL' by saying it phonetically "lawl" or say it it letter by letter "L.O.L" to mean that it was funny. Some even use 'ROFL', phonetically sounding like "ruffle".
A vice I earned in my English speaking habit is the word 'like' when speaking. I had had a speech therapist who used to be an English teacher. She told me that some of the new younger students would even use the filler word 'like' in their essays. To be honest, I didn't even know I was using the filler word. She told me she would clap whenever I would use the word, and I almost couldn't speak, having to consciously think not to use the word.

Comments

Post a Comment