Language Loss

I had experienced 'language loss' many times, sometimes several times for one language. Even though I was not in America for nearly a year when I was young, I never lost my primary English language. It was probably because I was the most comfortable with English, thinking and dreaming in English. English was also generally understood in many of the places I was living in Korea and Argentina. This correlates with English being used as an international powerhouse. Colonialism and manifest destiny will have its remaining effects on the world for decades/centuries to come. My specific dialect of English that I casually speak originates from Los Angeles. Although I may speak 'everyday' English everyday, the academic institutions and other official American places want very 'vernacular' English. They would even look down on me if I spoke casual English and it shows origins of identity.
I had learned official Korean when I was very young. Korean tradition is generally stricter, and my memories of learning Korean was also strict. All I can remember is being pummeled with workbooks and tests to learn Korean. As I grew up in schools without much Koreans or discrimination against newly immigrated Koreans, I had begun to think the Korean language was a lesser form and got ashamed to speak it in public. In LIGN 8, I learned that America is one of the top countries with people investing in learning or relearning their heritage language. I had only spoke Korean with family at home. Preparing to come to college I took Korean classes at a Korean culture center. Korean classes in America are taught with additive or maintaining philosophy. The classes at the culture center and in college, both try to incorporate the Korean homeland culture. As I learned my Korean language again for college, I learned a lot about Korea and put aside my shame for both my home language and culture. As I was learning Korean, there was a section of classes where we learned 'loan words' from English. This means that Koreans took up English words and simply put them in Korean letters with English pronunciation. It is similar to hybrid language.

Comments